Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Home Made "Lara Bars" {Healthy Snacks} Chocolate Pecan Pie "Truffles"

Have you ever had a Lara Bar? I had been buying several versions of a gluten free snack bar for a while. With being a full time student/mom/busy lady I tend to need a snack thrown into my purse to get me through the day without taking a diet dive at a snack machine for a bag of something totally un-hip-friendly. I recently discovered Lara Bars and I love them. I have yet to find a flavor I don't like. They are moist, sweet but not too sweet, filling and all natural.

So, with my new Lara Bar addiction, I thought maybe I could figure out a way to make them at home since they are just a few simple ingredients to make. So, I gave it a shot. I am so glad I did! These are so easy, super delicious and the flavor combos are endless! Here is the version that I tried:



Chocolate Pecan Pie "Truffles"
2 cups chopped dates ( I bought mine in bulk at Sam's)
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
 Prepare a piece of saran wrap on the counter before you begin so you don't have sticky hand prints on your saran wrap box like I had. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on the wrap if you wish to make the truffles, otherwise, use the wrap to roll out and cut the mixture into bars. Use a really good food processor!

 Add chopped dates into the processor and pulse until well processed and the dates look like this:

Add the pecans, chocolate chips and vanilla and pulse until everything is chopped and forming a ball of sticky goodness.

For Bars:
Pour the mixture onto the wrap and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into bars and wrap individually. Place the wrapped bars into a Ziploc baggie and refrigerate.

For Truffles:
Take about a tablespoon and a half into your hand and roll into balls. Dredge balls lightly in cocoa powder and place in an air tight container. Refrigerate. 


Have you tried to make your own Lara Bars? I would love more flavor ideas!



1 comment:

  1. These sound absolutely spectacular! What a yummy snack : ) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...